At Carr Manufacturing Company, Inc., our time-proven design-to-delivery process, along with our technical expertise and cutting-edge technology, allows us to deliver superlative custom cable assemblies to our clients at a competitive price. As a leading medical cable assembly manufacturer, Carr Manufacturing Company, Inc. produces reinforced cable assemblies for the medical industry. We provide precision products for both standard applications as well as OEM specific. Our varied product offerings, coupled with strong expertise, allow us to create products that meet the stringent standards set by medical organizations.
Our cables can be used in applications where signal integrity is of prime importance. They provide seamless service even through electrical disturbances, shock and vibration, and rugged use. The jacketing of the cables provides complete insulation, reducing any chances of crosstalk between electronic devices and cables.
When designing and manufacturing custom cable assemblies, design engineers must weigh several factors, such as the application, the environment in which they will be used, and size constraints. Design considerations include:
- Conductor design: Design specifications for the conductor must take into account the average wire gauge, the flexibility, whether it is solid or stranded, and additional materials such as plating or coating. The higher the stranding, the higher the flexibility coefficient.
- Insulator shields: Materials used to insulate the conductors must be durable while also able to withstand flexing and movement. For medical applications, the substances must also be biocompatible to prevent harm or adverse reaction to living tissue.
- Cable jacket: The cable jacket is the protective outer structure that encloses the conductor and insulator shields. The jacket must provide resistance to heat, cold, chemicals, and electrical leakage.
Many common medical applications require cable assemblies. Imaging equipment affords doctors a way to see organs, soft tissue, and bone structures without invasive procedures. X-rays, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging, and echocardiography are just a few well-known examples. Defibrillators used to restore the natural heart rhythm, as well as patient monitoring systems that record pulse, heart rate, blood pressure, and other vital statistics, are other critical applications that depend on cable assemblies. Our products can also support innovative medical electronics in a variety of disciplines and procedures such as:
- Fetal Monitors
- And many more!
While there is no defined body of oversight that issues overarching standards, there are industry-accepted specifications. Minimum safety and performance guidance for ECG cables and leads is detailed in the ANSI/AAMI 53 standard from the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation. It is designed to prevent the possibility of someone connecting the cables to a power source. There is additional documentation in FDA 21 CFR 820.30 to address sterility requirements for medical devices as well as ISO 14971, a risk management standard that advocates that manufacturers develop and use connectors that will not successfully attach to the wrong component.
We include the following features in our custom cable assemblies:
- Extensive braiding techniques used in accordance with application and
- High-quality materials that can be used in high temperatures and harsh
- Cables can be manufactured with insulation material that ensures low dielectric
- Low-noise cables that can be used to combat mechanical shock and vibrations
- Varied jacketing options to enhance the cable’s performance even in high
temperatures, regular chemical cleaning, constant usage, and much more.
- Our products maintain signal integrity of all cable assemblies even in
CMC also has the capabilities of providing custom cable assemblies that support robotics in critical medical applications and processes. Our products are ISO 9001, ROHS, and UL certified. With dedicated service and innovative products, we ensure complete customer satisfaction.
Our products and services are accessible from two production facilities located in North America. To order standard or customized products for your application, please click here for contact information.