Founded in 2006, Carr Manufacturing Company, Inc. (CMC) is a women-owned company that specializes in manufacturing and assembling custom cable and wire assemblies for domestic original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). Equipped with over a decade of experience and two ISO-certified manufacturing facilities, our expert team has the knowledge and equipment necessary to provide customers with high-quality assembly solutions tailored to their unique needs.
At Carr Manufacturing, we serve a wide range of industries, including:
- Aerospace. Our cable assemblies provide reliable performance at high altitudes and in high vibration applications. Every product meets IPC/WHMA-A-620 Class III specifications and/or MIL-STD-454 specifications.
- Agriculture. Our cable assemblies for the agricultural industry demonstrate excellent connectivity, flexibility, and UV and chemical resistance.
- Automotive. For the transportation industry, we provide end-to-end wire harness solutions that find application in products ranging from GPS systems to watercrafts. These products are lightweight and exhibit reliability in high temperatures, shock and vibration resistance, and support for low to high voltages.
- Broadcasting and communications.We can create custom cabling solutions for a variety of these industries’ needs ranging from video Triaxial cables to junction boxes and tactical cables. Our assemblies have rugged jacket options and flexible designs.
- General industry.We create NAFTA-compliant products that offer industrial facilities reliable connector and cabling solutions.
- In addition to OEM specifications, all of our medical products comply with ISO 9001, REACH, RoHS, and UL standards. For the medical industry, our cabling solutions are designed to withstand electrical disturbances, high vibration, wear, and more.
- Military and defense.We take care to meet or exceed every military specification that applies to our custom cable assemblies. Our products meet IPC/WHMA-A-620 Class III and/or MIL-STD-454 specifications.
- Oil and gas.Equipment employed in oil and gas processing facilities needs to withstand corrosion, vibration, and other extreme environmental factors. We produce durable custom cable assemblies for the oil and gas industry that resist crushing, corrosion, and more.
A cable assembly can be defined as a collection of wires and/or cables grouped into a single unit with connectors attached at both or either end. In industrial as well as other applications, cable assemblies are used to connect different types of equipment and instruments to each other.
Depending on the nature of the application, the required connectors and wire configurations can be very specific. Therefore, when selecting industrial cable assemblies, it is important to consider the area of application and the type of specifications desired. Some of the relevant specifications for industrial cable assemblies include gender, shielding, and approvals/certifications, depending on the applications.
A cable assembly can be identified by the plugs and receptacles that are attached to its ends. The connectors featured in a particular industrial cable assembly are determined by the application for which it has been manufactured. Along with that, the nature of the intended application also determines the dimensions, electrical specifications, approvals, and certifications required of the cable assembly.
These days, various suppliers offer custom industrial cables and assemblies for the following applications:
- Audio/video (AV)
- Radiofrequency (RF)
- Personal computers (PCs)
- Local area networks (LANs)
- Industrial control systems
- Instrumentation systems
Manufacturers offer various types of custom cable assemblies such as cordage, patch cords, and cable extenders to suit a variety of applications.
The different types of industrial cable assemblies are grouped according to the intended application:
- Multicore assembly is designed to accomplish two or more functions at the same time through a single cable assembly. For instance, you can choose to have power, data, and signal in the same cable.
- Audio/visual (AV) cables are used for connecting audio and video equipment to a computer or other displays. A few examples of AV cables include DVI, RGB and VGA cables.
- Computer cables can be used to connect hard drives, monitors, printers, and other devices to a computer or other systems. These include ATA/SATA, IEEE 1394, IDE, UTP with different connectors, USB, VGA, and HDMI cables.
- General communication and networking cables are used for data transmission and networking between computers, controllers, and other devices.
- Patch cables, also known as patch cords, are electrical or optical cables that are used for connecting two or more devices. These cables are available in different lengths and can be used for numerous applications, including panel connection, Ethernet, etc.
- Telecommunication cables are useful for connecting telephones, intercoms, and handsets.
To enhance the performance of cables and applications, we manufacture our wires using industry-specific material. Additionally, we fabricate our cable assemblies with the following features to improve reliability:
- High-quality jacketing, such as TPE jackets or polyurethane jackets
- Connectors, such as industrial Ethernet, circular, pin and socket, and many more
- Specialty tapes to reduce friction in applications
- Resistance to extreme temperatures, fire, moisture, vibrations, fungus, etc.
We pride ourselves in providing the best in class products at competitive prices. We offer:
- Innovative solutions. We provide a wide range of products for various industries, all under one roof. We utilize experience, technical prowess, and creative intellect to provide our clients with solutions that make a difference.
- Quick turn deliveries. We utilize the latest technology and employ trained personnel to ensure that our products are delivered on time while adhering to strict quality standards.
We believe in providing solutions for custom cable assembly that are the perfect fit for our clients and their applications. With immense emphasis on building relationships, we treat each project with a high level of enthusiasm and dedication. Below is the customization process generally followed at CMC:
- Meeting with Client (Understanding Requirements)
- Develop Sources and Cost
- Approval from Client
- Prototype Creation
- Product Manufacturing on Approval
Although our products can be customized to include many additional features, some of our standard products features are:
- Potting and encapsulating
- Customization of standard assemblies
- Custom braiding
- Flat Ribbon /IDC
- Soldered Terminations
The terms “cable assemblies” and “wire harnesses” are often used interchangeably. However, while the two types of equipment often serve similar roles in industrial applications, there are essential differences between them. When selecting which one to use for a facility’s equipment, it’s important to understand how the two differ.
Before outlining the difference between wire harnesses and cable assemblies, it’s essential to describe the difference between wires and cables; a wire is a single string of metal, whereas a cable consists of two or more concurrent wires bonded or braided together. Similarly, a wire harness features a simple design that consists of a single jacketed line of wires or cables, while a cable assembly is much more robust and features multiple groups of jacketed wires or cables, which, as a whole, are covered in an exterior sheath.
Although both wire harnesses and cables assemblies organize wires and cables and protect technicians from electrical shock, they find application in different environments. As wire harnesses generally serve as a low-cost solution for wiring and cable system organization, they typically use jacketing material with lower durability to reduce production costs. This material characteristic means they are unsuitable for applications where they would be exposed to harsh environmental factors, such as dust, high temperatures, and moisture. On the other hand, the more durable jacketing material typically used in cable assemblies makes them suitable for use in harsh environments.
At Carr Manufacturing, regardless of whether our customers need cable assemblies, wire harnesses, or both, we can provide them with a custom assembly solution that meets their exact application requirements.
Cable assemblies play an essential role in industrial equipment by protecting wires and cables from environmental hazards, long-term wear, and more. At Carr Manufacturing Company, Inc., we are proud to provide high-quality custom cable assemblies suitable for use in a wide variety of industries and applications.